Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blog Post #1

Me marching onto the football field with the USA Marching BandHi, my name is Meredith Anderson. I am a Physical Education major. I was a member of the USA Marching Band Color Guard from 2009 to 2011. This will be my seventh year of Color Guard experience. I teach my own Color Guard at Robertsdale High School and I'm also a lifeguard at the USA Rec Center. I went to Murphy High School and graduated in 2008. My dad works with the public school system maintenance crew and my mom is a secretary for a lawyer. My one brother is 28 and working towards a degree in Psychology. Whenever I get my degree in PE, I want to teach at an elementary or middle school level. I'm a kid at heart, so working with kids for the rest of my life seems to fit my personality. I'm very passionate about children. They are our future and I want to teach them the importance of an active lifestyle while they're young. I can't wait to get started!

Randy Pausch on Time Management- I have heard of Dr. Pausch before. He was an amazing speaker who died from Pancreatic Cancer. Even through all of his struggles, he managed to give amazing speeches with great enthusiasm to the public before he passed. I really needed to hear this message. My time management skills are definitely lacking. Here are some notes that I took during his speech.
*People are more money conscience and less time conscience.
*Failing to plan is planning to fail.
*Just because you make a plan doesn't mean that it can't change. You can't change a plan unless you have a plan in the first place.
*When looking at your "to do" list, make sure to do your least favorite idem first and get it out of the way. Start with the biggest task and work your way down.
The last note is the one I've used recently. I sat down and made a list of everything that I needed to do for school, work, and around the house. After the list was made, I numbered them from most important to least important. With the aid of this list, I was able to accomplish everything that I needed to within the time that I had to do it. I'll definitely continue to use this method.

Penn State Learning I am not very happy with my time management skills. I need to plan with more structure. I also procrastinate and I'm wasting a lot of my time with T.V and Facebook. This website gives excellent tips on studying and avoiding procrastination. One of the tips says to keep a notebook nearby to scribble down any random thoughts that are clouding your mind while you're trying to study. I found that one pretty helpful when I'm dealing with a lot of stuff at one time. It's nice to get it out of my mind and onto paper. It also helps me to remember what I need to deal with later. I've learned a great deal from this website.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith! I enjoyed getting to know a little bit about you through your blog post. Congratulations on your achievements with the USA Marching Band Color Guard, it's a huge honor to be a part of a university band. I think it's great that you get to pass along your seven years of color guard experience to high school students. PE teachers can really play an important role in a child's life and it seems you are ready to make an impact. I wish my PE teachers would have been as eager as you are. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to have you in EDM 310! I hope that you have a great time and we want you to come to the labs anytime you have questions.

    We really like Randy Pausch here in EDM so you will be seeing him more in the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, I can imagine that you don't necessarily see the reason a physical education teacher would need to learn about using technology in the classroom. I have a real surprise, check out this amazing blog:

    http://fairviewpe.blogspot.com/

    Mr. Beringer is a fantastic PE teacher and has an amazing online presence. This is the best PE blog I have ever seen.

    Good luck with EDM 310 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with your Biography. I too am in the JMBCG. I hope everything works out with your degree. I like how you formatted the Pausch section into a list of bullets and numbers. That is a good way in my opinion to keep your thoughts and information organized.

    ReplyDelete